[*] docsis query

Ron Dallmeier ron at fiber.ca
Thu Jun 9 13:05:03 CDT 2005

The following is my understanding of how the cable modems are configured:

- cable modem turns on - it does a BOOTP request
- cable modem is supplied with a IP address, firmware version that is should
be running and the tftp server
- cable modem gets the firmware only if required
- cable modem gets the config from the tftp server

The config file contains are the parameters including QOS settings or
rate-limiting, all the RF settings (which channel to move to), etc.

For those interested in hacking, the cable modem is usually configured not
to accept BOOTP from the NIC side and therefore you would have to answer the
BOOTP request on the RF side. You would also have to know several things
about the head-end (CMTS) so that the config file matched the settings. The
config file is binary and the format is not publicly available. Lastly, you
would probably need your own CMTS to jump in at the BOOTP sequence and
moving your cable modem from your mini RF network to Shaw's would have to be
done very fast. If the cable modem senses that the network has dropped it
will reboot.

Another easier way would be if someone found out the SNMP write password and
obtained the MIB table for the modem. You could tweak settings that would
last until your modem was reset. At Videon (before Shaw) we did not poll
cable-modems so ARP spoofing one would not result in capturing a SNMP
packet. We polled everything from the CMTS. A simple access-list on the CMTS
could easily prevent SNMP traffic to Shaw's network components.

For more detail info on the DOCSIS standards go to
http://www.cablemodem.com/specifications/specifications20.html

...Ron