[*] Nerd Vittles launches new "PBX in a Flash" Asterisk Distro

Steve Lecomte steve.lecomte at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:35:15 CST 2007

Looks like Ward Mindy and the Nerd Vittles crew has been busy. As Ward
puts it this is the 'steroid enhanced version of Asterisk @ Home.'

An interesting side-note to this story is that they put this version
together in 3 weeks and that it is rock solid. Very Impressive.

PBX in a Flash is their (and others) response to the direction of Trixbox.

Here, here! .. I was just having the same conversation last night with
one of our well know luminaries.

This will give a large portion of the community a real boost. My guess
is many group members cut their teeth on Asterisk at Home.

PBX in a Flash includes:
- Asterisk 1.4.13, FreePBX 2.3.1, Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin,
SendMail, Perl, Flite, and much more.

Details can be found here. Demand for the available versions are in
very high demand.

Tom Keating's perspective

The rationale behind yet another Asterisk distro? Well, Ward explained
his reasoning as follows:

"As some of you know, we just haven't been thrilled with the direction
of the trixbox project lately. Without boring everyone with a lot of
detail, suffice it to say that it's just gotten a little too
proprietary, too closed, and too commercial for our open source,
puritanical tastes. So today, with a bunch of help from some really
sharp folks, we embark upon a new open source project that we hope
will become the best-of-breed Asterisk-based development platform. Our
design goals are simple: a very modular system that meets the needs of
Asterisk experimenters as well as those looking for a reliable,
scalable, IP-based business telephony solution with all the bells and