[*] Nerd Vittles launches new "PBX in a Flash" Asterisk Distro

Steve Lecomte steve.lecomte at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 13:35:15 CST 2007

Looks like Ward Mindy and the Nerd Vittles crew has been busy. As Ward
puts it this is the 'steroid enhanced version of Asterisk @ Home.'

An interesting side-note to this story is that they put this version
together in 3 weeks and that it is rock solid. Very Impressive.

PBX in a Flash is their (and others) response to the direction of Trixbox.

Here, here! .. I was just having the same conversation last night with
one of our well know luminaries.

This will give a large portion of the community a real boost. My guess
is many group members cut their teeth on Asterisk at Home.

PBX in a Flash includes:
- Asterisk 1.4.13, FreePBX 2.3.1, Apache, MySQL, PHP, phpMyAdmin,
SendMail, Perl, Flite, and much more.

Details can be found here. Demand for the available versions are in
very high demand.
http://nerdvittles.com/index.php?p=194

Tom Keating's perspective
http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/asterisk/pbx-in-a-flash-asterisk-distro-launches.asp

The rationale behind yet another Asterisk distro? Well, Ward explained
his reasoning as follows:

"As some of you know, we just haven't been thrilled with the direction
of the trixbox project lately. Without boring everyone with a lot of
detail, suffice it to say that it's just gotten a little too
proprietary, too closed, and too commercial for our open source,
puritanical tastes. So today, with a bunch of help from some really
sharp folks, we embark upon a new open source project that we hope
will become the best-of-breed Asterisk-based development platform. Our
design goals are simple: a very modular system that meets the needs of
Asterisk experimenters as well as those looking for a reliable,
scalable, IP-based business telephony solution with all the bells and
whistles."