[RndTbl] eth0 doesn't work.... no matter what

Sean Walberg sean at ertw.com
Sun Nov 13 08:32:42 CST 2005

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Trevor Cordes wrote:

> On 11 Nov, Sean A. Walberg wrote:
> >
> > I have no clue why this is happening.  I wiped any trace of network
> > stuff in /etc/mod*, rebuilt the initrd, and grepped under /etc for any
> > mention of eth0.  It even does this in single user mode.  No kernel
> > paramaters either, and I'm running the latest FC1 kernel from Legacy.
>
> What are you using to configure the card?  Did you look in

Kudzu (ie network-config), and editing ifcfg-eth0.

> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0?  Make sure there is no IPADDR
> set and you have BOOTPROTO=dhcp.  In fact, besides DEVICE, BOOTPROTO,
> ONBOOT and TYPE you might want to delete all other entries, espcially
> HWADDR.  Then ifdown/ifup and it should work.  ifcfg-eth0 controls the
> whole enchilada and it's got to be something in there, assuming your
> modules are ok, which appears to be the case.

Nope, it's clean.  Part of my final fix was to put ONBOOT=no in
ifcfg-eth0 so the boot process wouldn't bother with the card on boot.

mii-tool shows no link status (nor does the switch), even after I manually
ifconfig the interface to be UP/RUNNING.

Sean

--
Sean Walberg <sean at ertw.com>                    http://ertw.com