[RndTbl] recommendations for 4k video card under Linux

Sean Cody sean at tinfoilhat.ca
Fri Apr 6 14:33:11 CDT 2018

On 2018-04-06 14:09, Gilles Detillieux wrote:
> Well, there is a surprising amount of cards that don't support 4k,
> especially the lower cost ones.

Interesting.

My Lenovo X220 and X230 with 'on board graphics' supports 4K quite well
(both specific 4K monitor and 4K TV).
You don't get 60hz unless using DisplayPort and you will need an active
adapter if you have to convert HDMI or some other nonsense.  The older
the device the higher the chance you will suffer 4K at 30hz but that didn't
kill me. :)

My PoC T430 does 4K via DP and miniDP and through full DP on the dumb
dock (typing this now on said device attached to Samsung UE590 panel)

Any ATI/Nvidia card with DP1.2 or better should be sufficient in my
limited experience.

--
Sean