[RndTbl] Advice on finally buying my first laptop

Gilbert E. Detillieux gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca
Tue Sep 29 09:08:53 CDT 2020

Actually, Brad, I'm with you on this one.  I don't remember every coming
across an international or French-Canadian keyboard layout that I
actually liked (or that was even familiar to me after learning to type
on a bilingual typewriter).  There doesn't (didn't?) seem to be a
standard layout even, and keys get shifted around from where I'm used to
finding them.  It makes touch-typing very difficult.  (Add to that the
fact that I have to work on a number of different systems with different
keyboards, so I like to have a consistent layout, as much as possible.
The fairly standard US English 104-key layout is what I'm most
comfortable with.)

I prefer to have the few accented characters I need implemented through
"dead keys" in standard locations, and I don't need key-top label to
guide me, once I know where those locations are.

I'm probably not alone in this.  I'm guessing that's why the MS Office
dev team put in their own dead-key support in the suite, rather than
relying on the international keyboard support in the underlying Windows
system.  (I'm a big fan of the Zombie Keys add-on for Firefox and TB,
which embraces the same set of dead-key combinations as MS Office, and
extends it further.  I wish someone would implement that at the system
level in Windows, Linux, and macOS, so we could enjoy a consistent and
usable standard everywhere!)

Gilbert

--
Gilbert E. Detillieux        E-mail:  <gedetil at cs.umanitoba.ca>