[RndTbl] Windows activation on Linux VM host?

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Thu Jan 21 22:03:19 CST 2021

On 2021-01-21 Kevin McGregor wrote:
> Oops! Brain tired. Should read "If the two Linux hosts have the same
> CPUs (manufacturer and gen) you should have no problem".

Yes, in this case the physical hardware would be identical.

However, there is conflict between Alberto's & Kevin's answers... has
anyone actually tried it?

And for sure you weren't using a corporate Windows license key?  (And
not a Server version either.)  I recall hearing something like Alberto
said re: non-corporate Windows detecting it was in a VM and complaining.

I guess the big part of the question is, if Windows doesn't have a
blanket anti-VM block in it, how much of the host hw id info really
does "seep" into to guest...

The problem here that testing it might "waste" a paid Windows license.
Even if we bought 2 licenses and activated twice, I'm not convinced the
activation code won't get angry at going back and forth between the 2
boxes.

Man, do I hate Windows and non-FLOSS.  Maybe I need to see if my
customer could instead forget Windows and make everything work in
WINE...

Thanks!