[RndTbl] What do I have to do to get some scam sites shut down?

Brian Lowe brian2 at groupbcl.ca
Fri Mar 15 10:17:13 CDT 2024

Recently I've received SMS alerts regarding package delivery problems
directing me to three different scam sites:

* completeshipingform.info (note the misspelling)
* shipment-overview.info
* shipmentsetback.info

The sites masquerade as Canada Post and are stealing people's names,
addresses, phone numbers, birth dates, and credit card info. They are designed
for mobile devices; if the user-agent indicates a desktop browser they
redirect to Google. (One can get around this by installing an add-on to spoof
the user-agent.)

I complained to NameSilo, the registrar. They told me they don't care what's
running on the site they've registered.

I've filed multiple complaints with Alibaba Cloud, who are apparently hosting
these sites. They've done nothing. A chat with customer support indicated they
want to get "their side" of the story--that is, the customer who put up the
site. This is extremely disingenuous on their part, as it's obvious the sites
are scams and exist only to steal information.

I'm disappointed and frustrated at the lack of response to thieves and
scammers openly operating on the web while the gatekeepers sit aside and do
nothing.